Exercise of the Week!: Chest Supported Rows
I feel that any good training program will have exercises to not only help you obtain that physique you are dreaming about, but also will have exercises that will help things such as posture. We, as a society, do way too many things that can make our shoulders round and give us poor posture.
Here is an exercise I love to have in my training to help fight that poor posture and give my back the definition I really want to have.
As you can see here I am using a machine that is used specifically for this exercise, but you do not need this to do the exercise. You can just as easily use a incline bench and dumbbells to do the exercise.
A couple "Do's" for doing a chest supported row...
- Always make sure to squeeze your shoulder blades together as you row.
- Keep you abs tight. It can be easy to let the rest of your body "slack" while doing these because you are being supported, but don't let it. Keep your abs and butt tight to help keep your lower back safe.
- Control the weight as you lower it back to starting position.
A couple of "Don'ts"...
- Don't cheat the rep. Meaning, make sure you bring the weight all the way up to your chest and then completely straighten your arms at the bottom.
- Don't use momentum. It can be very easy to jerk the weight as you row to get the rep in. Make sure every rep you are using your strength.
Hope you give these a try and let me know how you like them! :)