4 Keys to Fat Loss Success: Key #3 NUTRITION
We've all heard these sayings before. "You can't out run/train/lift a bad diet!"
"Abs are made in the kitchen!"
"Nutrition is 80% of a fat loss program!"
And you know what??
They are all TRUE!
I really wish I could tell you you could eat anything your little heart desired and still lose fat, but sadly for 95% of the population trying to lose fat, it's just not true. Believe me, if it was possible, I would be all over it! LOL
So as you may have noticed, the 3rd Key to Fat Loss Success is NUTRITION.
The hard about nutrition, just like Key #2 Movement, is there is so much information (or I should say misinformation) out there that many people don't know what will help your fat loss goals, what will hurt them and what just plain is unrealistic.
There are tons of fad diets out there and, even though I don't agree with them, they all do work.
Lets take a look at the "Grapefruit Diet". If all you do is eat grapefruit, guess what...you're going to lose weight. If you do the Atkin's Diet and cut out all carbohydrates, you will lose weight. If all you eat is one meal day and that meal is from McDonald's, you lose weight.
Because you are drastically cutting your calories, and that is what it takes to lose WEIGHT.
**Remember losing WEIGHT is completely different from losing FAT**
So you finished your "diet", because lets be realistic....you can't live off of grapefruit or keep carbohydrates out of your diet forever (I will in a later go into why completely cutting a macro-nutrient out of your diet is very harmful) or get sick of your one-meal-a-day from McDonald's, now what? You go back to your old ways of eating and BAM! All that weight you lost comes back and back with a fury.
So what do you do? How do you keep Key #3-Nutrition so that you lose fat and keep that fat loss away?
Well, there is a lot involved in finding the exact nutrition for you, but here are 3 simple ways to start that can, and will, help everyone.
- Eat whole foods.
- Fruits, veggies, your choice of protein.
- Keep away from processed foods. If it comes in a box or has more than 3 ingredients, don't buy it.
- Start tracking your food. This is probably one of the most helpful things you can do for yourself when it comes to nutrition.
- This will let you see how much food you are eating or not eating. There are 2 types of people when it comes to nutrition and fat loss. First, the type of person who thinks they are eating TONS of food, but once they start tracking their food they see they are eating less than 1000 kcals, or even lower. This will kill your metabolism. Then there are people who think they are eating too little or maybe not as much bad stuff and once they start tracking they find they are eating way above what they need.
- My favorite way to track my food is on my phone with an app called My Fitness Pal. It's great because it has tons of foods in it's bank and you can scan your foods into the system and keep them there.
- Watch out for liquid calories
- Nowadays with all the frappas or cappas or lattes or energy drinks galore, people are drinking about half, if not more, of their daily calorie allowance. Plus all the sugar and fat that is in them to make them taste good, not good for that waist line. Start thinking about these as treats/desserts, because most of them truly are, and use them as such.
- Try to drink as much water as possible. If you need to flavor it with something, add lemon or my favorite, cucumber :)
If all of this is still confusing, don't worry, just take it one step at a time. Start with #1, eating only whole foods. You will see how much of a difference that will make. Then go on to the other steps.
Make sure you come back next week to see what the final and fourth Key to Fat Loss Success is!!